White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are favored for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that work with a wide range of home styles. Additionally, white works with anything, even as décor trends transform over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s fine to be apprehensive that the sun can discolor them. This is particularly true if your home endures intense sunlight or faces south. It’s useful to know that not all window treatments are constructed the same. And that certain plantation shutters are more susceptible to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you irritating sunburns. They’re also responsible for tarnishing your white plantation shutters, especially if you have cheaper or overseas-made shutters. These detrimental rays can eat away at protective coating over time. Once the coating is gone, the sun could fade the paint and cause it to become yellow.
Regular cleaning will help keep your shutters looking their best. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t much you can do to fix it. The best way to keep your shutters from yellowing is to find high-quality models that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like most other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as good of a deal as they initially look to be.
- They might not fit your windows very well. For the most energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters must fit right against the window frame. Cheaper plantation shutters are generally not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management may as a result.
- They’re made from low-grade materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are constructed using low-quality materials, such as vinyl and composite, and are sometimes hollow. Along with yellowing, they can also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to distortion, splitting or chipping.
- They’re painted with low-quality paint. Cheap paint frequently contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These chemicals can be emitted by your shutters over time, producing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in many people. It’s also important to know that poor-quality paint may not come with a protective UV coating, which could hasten the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know what type of quality you will get with plantation shutters that are manufactured overseas. They are typically lower quality than ones that are made in the U.S..
- They may demand continuous maintenance. Cheap plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if any parts become loose or louvers begin to wilt. In some instances, you may not be able to fix sagging louvers if your shutters don’t have tension screws.
- They don’t come with a warranty.
Louver Shop of Columbus Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Columbus, we’ve been building our company on outstanding plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a good decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are the same, and your window treatments can reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can see all the options as long as you need. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll be able to fully personalize your plantation shutters. And thanks to our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a great fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from premium materials. Whether you select our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most traditional look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We utilize an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look great but perform for years.
- Our plantation shutters are painted with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Columbus plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for you and your family since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also resistant against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters and other window treatments in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they high quality, this means you’ll also get them much sooner, typically within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are easy to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are protected by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Columbus plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also include a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Columbus Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your home. Finding the right ones means you’ll enjoy gorgeous shutters for years with hassle-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re guaranteed to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Columbus by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.